mCloud is a Hangzhou based startup developing several mobile based solutions for the elderly, the first being a blood pressure monitor coupled with a full spectrum health/wellness app. Although a seemingly a minor health metric, the mCloud blood pressure monitor serves several use cases including:
- Changes in blood pressure or pulse can help a doctor or nurse decide how likely it is that a serious illness is at hand. mCloud can also relay blood pressure measurements to the user’s doctor and relatives in real time (via the mCloud app).
- Falling is the leading cause of injury related death for the elderly. The mCloud platform can help reduce fall risk by checking the primary indicator of fall risk: the sitting v standing blood pressure.
- mCloud can also assess the effects of recent medication changes for the elderly.
Although blood pressure monitors underpin the mCloud offering, the marriage of this data with the mCloud app has set it apart by providing a real time diagnostic platform for the elderly and caregivers. The mCloud user experience involves three core steps:
First, mCloud runs blood pressure readings through 12 metrics including cardio and blood/glucose levels, before sending a weekly report to a doctor and family members.
Second, the mCloud app provides real time access to doctors and retirement facilities.
Finally, the mCloud team has recognised that medication and diet forms a key part of the elderly heathcare and includes drug schedule and drug expiry reminders.
In addition to the core blood pressure monitoring service, the broader mCloud ecosystem has several other healthcare solutions for the elderly including:
- Blood glucose meter – elderly people are more prone to develop diabetes
- Fetal listener – monitor for impending heart attack via a stealth scope to detect heart anomalies
- Ear temperature measure – gauges temperature onset of disease
- Weight scale BMI index tailored plan.
All the above integrate seamlessly with the mCloud app that can be operated by an elderly person’s relatives and relayed to doctors.
Although there are several chronic disease management solutions for the elderly, mCloud has differentiated itself by mastering the hardware/software divide. This hardware/software integration allows mCloud to monitor for conditions including heart attack, stroke and seizures and shows how monitoring blood pressure is a crucial metric to optimise an elderly person’s health.